Have you thanked your technical writer today?

The Mojo of technical communication and writing as mused by Dr. Lu Kondor

Saturday, July 19, 2014

One of my favorite screen capture tools & there is a free version

As we all know video is very helpful in training & documentation, especially in applications, science etc. So I wanted to give a shout out on one of my favorite tools for recording videos, http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/

Now to start it is free. Not bad but there are a few restrictions in the free version but for a fee you can get a lot more. I haven't needed the pay version yet except that a previous employer had it and I found it nice. But for my classes the free version works just fine. This is great when you really focus on screen instructions on you computer. I'll actually save these and intercut with other material as necessary.

For the free version there is a breakdown on the page listed above but for me there are a few key things for the free version:
  • 15 mins recording - not a problem because I will break up my videos. If they are longer than that I lose students' focus
  • Watermark on the bottom - probably the most annoying part but it isn't very distracting 
  • It supports the following formats: MP4, AVI, FLV movie
  • Easy to use - just try it
I like to edit on my desktop so I save there and editing using my normal tools (Adobe Suite is great for this and if you aren't using the cloud version of their software I suggest you do - it is awesome). Now if you like to go 

But here is the kicker - for so much more in the way of toolsets you can just pay $15/yr. Wow, now that's pretty cool. So I suggest you can try it to see if you like if first. I probably will get the pro version in the future. I use Firefox without any issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment