Have you thanked your technical writer today?

The Mojo of technical communication and writing as mused by Dr. Lu Kondor

Thursday, December 19, 2013

End of year thoughts and interesting article

As it gets to the end of year, I always wish I wrote more on this blog but unfortunately work and what I call the time slip seem to happen far too often. This is the time of year I catch up on reading and writing (for my own work) and reflect on past, present, and future (think A Christmas Carol).

So I wanted to point out an article from the STC web site What I Wish I Had Known. It is a discussion on one technical communicator's experiences writing for a living. Perhaps my favorite recommendation in the list is  If you like something, do it. I agree with this wholeheartedly - even the risk taking. The Author said "Don’t be afraid to fail. The person who has never failed nor gotten fired is not stretching themselves enough." This is a similar saying from an old acquaintance in the entertainment industry who once said to me "You are not anybody in Hollywood until you have been fired at least once and quit at least twice."

Not that I am advocating getting fired but I think both speak to risk and reaching for those goals you wonder about. Taking a chance. As we come to the end of another year and the beginning of still yet another, I will reflect on that and evaluate goals anew. I have found that every time I take a new turn in my path, I come upon an unexpected but thoroughly exhilarating experience. I look forward to the New Year and new journeys along the path but most of all, meeting people along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment